Monday 1 November 2010

Genre

Horror. Within horror, there are four main sub genres, which include: Psychological, Supernatural, Gothic and Slasher. Out of these four sub genres, I prefer psychological horror. This is the sub genre that my promotional package for a horror film is going to belong to and I am going to ensure that my film package is going to obtain the typical conventions that you would expect to see in any other psychological horror film, whilst at the same time having its own unique twist. The reason for this is that I, personally, find the psychological horror much more thrilling and interesting. I definitely watch more psychological horrors, which will act as an advantage when it comes down to planning as I will already be aware and confident with the conventions used. Another reason as to why I would rather use this sub genre is because I wanted to avoid the predictability of slasher and to have the challenge of promoting a film that has a certain intelligence and enigma to its narrative. I also feel that there is a current gap in the market where a psychological horror would fit perfectly; more recently, there have not been any that have been hugely successful. Hopefully, my horror film will be able to fill this gap successfully.