Friday 10 December 2010

Post Analysis Refection

By completing a wide range of analysis’s, looking at; film trailers, film poster’s and film magazine front covers, I have been able to gain a fuller knowledge and understanding of the general codes and conventions of the horror genre. Also, I have been able to gain a wider knowledge and understanding of the codes and conventions of magazines, posters and trailers, allowing myself to become aware of the certain things my target audience want to see, and find most effective.
From looking at a vast number of film trailers, I have learnt that in order to make the audience feel scared yet excited, you have to create elements of suspense and tension. This is done through all aspects of a film trailer, including; editing, sound, Mise en scene elements and camera. This made me certain that rather than focusing completely on the narrative of the film, although it is important, equally, I will need to make sure that I put as much effort into all other aspects of the film, as these too are what create effect and an overall success. I have also learnt about the structure of film trailers. From seeing a pattern in all film trailers that I have viewed, even the ones I have not analysed in depth, I have been able to recognise the common structure used. For example, they start off slowly, setting the narrative of the film, then they gradually build up, picking up in speed, leading to a fast montage of shots otherwise known as the climax where we finally the audience will be presented with a sting. Sound is a brilliant and effective way of creating suspense and audience understanding, for example in the film trailer the ‘Unborn’ towards the middle of the trailer, we hear a beating sound, which beats faster and faster, leading up to the exorcism. Also, throughout my time analysing film trailers, I know that everything has a place, and a meaning, so anything without meaning shouldn't be in the shot.
From looking at existing media texts in reference to; Film magazines and film posters (Horror) I have become aware of the conventions and codes that I am expected to use, and also I have learnt that in order to lure my target audience to the magazine my film is being promoted in, or the film poster, I need to be able to create symbiotic links between them all so my audience can recognise the similarities and the film itself.
The three film trailers that I have looked at have inspired me in a number of ways. For example, from looking at ‘Orphan’ and ‘Silent Hill’, alongside other trailers that I have not analysed, such as ‘The Unborn’ and ‘the Omen’, I became aware of the fact that I too wanted to feature a young child as the main character as I believe that it creates a scary and eerie effect that cannot be created from using adults as the main characters/ killer. From looking at the ‘Uninvited’ and the ‘Orphan’ I understood that I wanted to include a big twist in my film that will shock and excite my audience. I was inspired to do so as these films, after having watched them myself, made the situation much more scary and exciting after having out the twist. I believe that twists in psychological/ supernatural horror films are crucial in order to fully meet the needs of my particular target audience. Lastly, from looking at ‘The Strangers’ I was made certain that I wanted to set my film mainly in a home as I think the audience are able to relate to this type of setting, put themselves in the audience’s shoes, and therefore, scaring the audience as they will be able to picture the same events that are happening to my characters, to themselves. This will also be effective in the fact that audiences may be watching the film at home, which would therefore add to the overall scariness.