Friday 10 December 2010

Dear Diary

Diary Entry #1

Today, when creating my film poster on Adobe Photoshop CS4, I had come across some problems. Out of all of the photo’s I had took of my main character ‘Ruby’ whom I wanted to feature on the film poster, my favourite one which I was determined to use, was of the wrong proportion and did not fit on a A4 poster template. Seen as this was the image I desperately wanted to use, I tried cropping, re sizing and even tried to mirror the image for a second time, asking my character to pose the same way. Unfortunately, the second selection of pictures were not as good as I wanted them to be, so I was determined to make my original favourite work. Finally, I was able to crop it down to size until if fit perfectly in on the page. This meant that there was no background at all, but in the end result, I preferred the fact that her whole face and hair covered the poster; it looked much more scary and effective.





Diary Entry #2

When I begun adding texts to the film poster, after I had already successfully choosen the fonts, and colours that I wanted to use, I then was unsure whether or not I wanted to feature a film company logo (s) and/ or a website. After experimenting with the two ideas, and asking my target audience which one they preferred, I chose that I was going to go ahead and use the film poster WITH the logo’s and website as I feel it defined the media text and also made it look professional.

Without

With



Diary Entry #3

When beginning to create my magazine front cover that will be promoting my film ‘Ruby’, the image I intended on using had mise en scene elements in the background that should not have been there and also, the ‘mother’s’ hair was out of place, and made the image look unprofessional and rushed. I scheduled to redo this image to see if I could capture the same pose, which I loved, but get rid of the unnecessary objects in the background, and the hair of her face.

Old

New




Diary Entry #4
After the problems that I had already encountered with the magazine front cover; the misplaced strands of hair, and then re taking the image to fix this problem, I have decided on changing the image all together as I would rather use an image of ‘Ruby’ as she is the main character, she would also create a symbiotic link between the poster and the magazine front cover, and also, adds a scary touch, which the mother would not. Here is the image I now intend on using, and with editing and text, I believe that this image will transform my magazine front cover into the one I desired creating from the very beginning. 


Diary Entry #5
Again looking at my magazine front cover, I have decided on making it a limited edition cover. This is due to the fact that, whilst constructing it, the way it looked with only one sell line stood out to me and as more text was being added on, it lost that sparkle of effectiveness that there was. I was therefore hesitant in ruining this vibe that it had to it, thus, decided to make it a limited edition cover. This also allowed more attention and focus to be put on the main image which on its own, is effective and would lure in my target audience.. Also, the idea of the ‘special edition’ gives the film a sense of importance and success, as it has to have an edition based on the film.  After looking at other magazine covers that have also done this, from EMPIRE magazine, I made my decision certain on wanted to do this. Here is my inspiration: